Monday 22 August 2011

How to protect your sofa and carpet from harmful UV rays...Sun Cream?

Firstly I apologise for neglecting my blog for the last few days, it's been hectic to say the least, and every time I've sat down to write something one of the monsters starts yelling from their afternoon nap or I get a phone call with yet another family drama that takes away another hour of my life that I'll never get back. I won't go into any details (for fear of reprisals) but my family is like the cast of Eastenders, full of drama, every day there's a new disaster, and for some reason I always end up playing councillor landing me directly in the middle of the controversy. Ah yes, never a dull day when you're part of this family, even when you make the massive effort of moving away from the nutcases! It's a good job I love them all regardless of the chaos that comes with them!

I've also been abit of a socialite, in comparison to what my social life has been over the last 4 years since having children anyway! Since my last blog I've been out 3 out of those 5 nights, and yes alcohol was involved in each and every outing. Since having my babies my recovery time from a night out is now between 48  to 36 hours, depending on how much alcohol was consumed, in comparison to the 6 hour recovery time needed back in my college days before the next party could begin!

Needless to say that I have been like a walking zombie struggling to keep up with my much more socially experienced friends, who are of course childless and who have the luxury of a good lie in the next morning, unlike my 6am wake up call by my little gremlins who have no care for the fact that mummy only fell into bed 4 hours earlier!

It has been a fun week however of catching up with old friends and following my hubby's band around for a couple of gigs, pretending for afew hours that we're young and carefree. This is a silly idea really though, or at least that's what I surmised the following morning when my head was thumping at the prospect of a full day with the monsters running rings round me. The guilty feeling in your gut could possibly be the worst side effect, and paranoia that you're possibly the worst mum in the world because of a reckless night out which has left you barely capable of lifting a mug of coffee to your lips, never mind meeting the demands of two small children all day. Does this make me a bad mum? I hope not. If so...well all I can say is there are alot of bad mum's out there!

Daddy's band, Zebedy. Daddy's the crazy lookin shirtless dude in the middle!

The worst morning after was Sunday morning. This was meant to be my lie in because daddy had his lie in on Saturday morning. However somehow at some stage between the dreaded 6am wake up call and 8am, when daddy came running upstairs in a state of alarm, the kids had managed to spot an opportunity and they did what any mischievous child would do and ran with it!

It was the funny smell that hit me first, then as my tired eyes focused on the living room I gasped in horror. Daddy had taken his eye off the ball, or the sun cream that had been in Megan's school bag to be more specific, and the kids had decided to paint themselves, the sofa and the carpet and just about everywhere else in it. The kids were nowhere in sight, they're not daft, they'd buggered off into the garden at the sound of their parent's footsteps on the stairs. A surprisingly clean looking Megan was pushing a greasy looking sun cream covered Ethan around in their Little Tykes car without a care in the world. Ethan's hair was fashioned into a mohican (although I suspect daddy was the culprit of that do, not Megan!) and his ears were thick with the stuff, I'm surprised he could hear anything!

I closed my eyes hoping it would all just disappear and my lovely clean living room and freshly bathed babies would reappear once I opened my eyes. Instead just my sheepish looking husband stood before me. Rather than grab a sponge and start cleaning however, he merely insisted we go out for breakfast. I could have slapped him it was such a stupid thing to say and only resulted in my exasperation turning to anger. Well it nearly did...maybe I was just too exasperated. We went out for breakfast.

Ethan's sun creamed hair do




Much to my disappointment the mess was still there when we got home, the kids still stank of sun cream and I was still hungover. So that day mostly consisted of scrubbing the living room and the kids, and yet I can still smell the stuff every time I walk in the house! I never realised sun cream was so smelly until now.


It reminds me of when Megan got hold of the sudocrem and pasted dolly with it before painting her lamp shade and wall with it too. I never realised just how smelly that was either til I found half my house smeared in the stuff, or how tricky it is to clean the blummin stuff off either! It's barrier cream after all so it has an amazing resistance to water! I kind of thought the whole thing was funny initially, I even took the time to take a photo (see below!) until I turned into a blaspheming demon scrubbing Megan's walls pointlessly, the wall paper was more willing to be cleaned off than the sudocrem!

It's the look on poor Dolly's face that made it comical!

No comments:

Post a Comment